Saturday, February 12, 2011

Our Arrival in Uganda

The plane ride wasn’t terrible. 8 hours of watching movies can get to you though. We arrived at the airport in Entebbe at about 10:30 pm. Walking off the plane, it was like walking into a sauna. Definitely a temperature change. When I was waiting for my family to get off, I saw a guy standing behind me holding a machine gun. It freaked me out. I was so scared he was going to shot me. My brother started laughing at me because I think I was having a panic attack. Right then and there I started having regrets (it wasn’t until we got to our house that it went away). While I was calming down, we had to wait in line for about an hour and ½ getting our visas and going through security (since it was election week). When we finally got out of the airport, we meet up with our driver who would drive us to UCU campus. He was really nice. We finally arrived at our home at about 2. We pretty much went straight to bed. It has taken time to get used to sleeping under a net though (to help prevent malaria).

The first couple of days here have been pretty chill. It is almost starting to feel like home. Our house isn’t as big as the one back home, but for houses in Africa, its big. Living on campus is a blessing because it is so safe and nice here. Other than the night, it is quite calm here. It seems like all the students come alive when we are trying to sleep.

The people here have been extremely nice. The lady who helps clean our house is so cute. It is kind of awkward having someone else clean up our mess, but we are helping her go to school. The other mzungu’s (meaning “privileged” aka; whites) here have brought us dinner and been so nice in our arriving. Lucky for my little siblings, they have tons of young kids here, all under the age of 10. There is one girl my age who is really nice. So I won’t be completely friendless.

On Friday (Feb 11) we walked to the church, which is 3 miles away, to help clean it. I was expecting to be vacuuming and washing windows and things. Boy, was I wrong. We get there and they have literally flooded the chapel. Since it is tile, which is the easiest way to get rid of the dust. We washed the floor for the entire building. Taking us 3 hours. I will never complain about cleaning the church back at home again! After we finished, our Bishop talked to us in his office. Where he gave us all got callings (even Hannah and Mckay). I am going to the assistant organist (it’s not really an organ, only a piano).

My favorite thing so far has been the little kids. They are so cute! As we walk by, they all come running. It is so cool for them to see an American. The cutest is when the yell, “mzungu, mzungu.” When we talk to them, their faces light up. We all are trying to convince my parents to let us adopt one.

Since the Internet here isn’t very good, I probably won’t be able to post as often as I wanted to. I’ll try to keep you updated on some of the more interesting things. I’ll try not to bore you … ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment