Thursday, July 7, 2011

I'm Proud to be an American

It has been really interesting being over seas during the 4th of July. That has always been one of my favorite holidays, going down to the neighborhood party and watching the fireworks....

At first, I was really skeptical about being here for the 4th of July. I was thinking it would be nothing like home (duh), which kind of made me sad. Fortunately, we are surrounded with such great people here on campus, that are also American who wanted to celebrate with us! We got a whole party planned... even down to the fireworks (which were really suppose to be candles that you put on cakes, but they acted like fireworks).

We had such fun time!! The food everyone brought was fantastic!!! We made sloppy joes and chocolate cake. Karen made baked macaroni and cheese and jello jigglers. It was so fun to get together with everyone. After eating we sang some songs. It was hilarious because we sang the national anthem, but we forgot to stand up. Dale made a comment on how we are in Africa, so we don't need to stand up. :) But Karen made us stand up and sing it again.

I have become very grateful for being a part of such a wonderful country. I mean, having been here in a totally different country, it has made me realize just how blessed we are. Also, I have been reading 1776 for AP US History and that also has made me more aware just how blessed and lucky we are to actually be a country, the sacrifices and miracles that happened during the Revolution. It still is amazing to me.

Now, I can truly sing the words of the song "I'm Proud to be an American" and be honest in singing them. There is something about being away from your hometown and country that makes you realize just how blessed you are, especially, if the country you move to is in Africa. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment